Where’s My Tax Refund?

You filed your tax return and you’re expecting a refund. You have just one question and you want the answer now – Where’s My Refund?

$110 million belongs to you through your tax refund. The IRS is looking for over 115,000 taxpayers who are due refund checks after those checks were returned as undeliverable. The refund checks, averaging about $953, can be claimed as soon as you update your address with the IRS. Some taxpayers have more than one check waiting.

You can ensure the IRS has your correct address by filing Form 8822, Change of Address. If you do not have access to the internet and think you may be missing a refund should first check their records or contact your tax preparer, then call the IRS toll-free assistance line at 1-800-829-1040 to update your address.

The Where’s My Refund? tool on IRS.gov enables you to check the status of your refunds. You must submit your social security number, filing status and amount of refund shown on your 2006 income tax return. The tool will provide the status of your refund and in some cases provide instructions on how to resolve delivery problems.

You can access a telephone version of “Where’s My Refund?” by calling 1-800-829-1954.

Whether you split your refund among several accounts, opted for direct deposit to one account or asked IRS to mail you a check, you can track your refund through this secure Web site. You can get refund information even if you filed just to request the telephone excise tax refund.

To get to your personal refund information, be ready to enter your:

Exact refund amount shown on your return
Filing status (Single, Married Filing Joint Return, Married Filing Separate Return, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widow(er))

Social Security Number (or IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)

If you don’t receive your refund within 28 days from the original IRS mailing date shown on Where’s My Refund?, you can start a refund trace online.

If Where’s My Refund? shows that the IRS was unable to deliver your refund, you can change your address online.

Need tax help or have a California or federal tax problem? Call Mitchell A. Port at 310.559.5259.