The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is an independent organization within the IRS whose employees assist taxpayers who are seeking help in resolving problems with the Internal Revenue Service, who believe that an IRS system or procedure is not working as it should or who are experiencing economic harm. Here are some things you should know about TAS:
1. The service is confidential, suited to meet your needs and FREE.
2. TAS employees know the IRS and how to navigate it. They say they will listen to your problem, help you understand what needs to be done to resolve it, and stay with you every step of the way until your problem is resolved.
3. TAS helps taxpayers whose problems are causing financial difficulty or significant cost, including the cost of professional representation. This includes businesses as well as individuals.
4. You may be eligible for TAS help if you have tried to resolve your tax problem through normal IRS channels and have gotten nowhere, or you believe an IRS procedure just isn’t working as it should.
5. TAS has at least one local taxpayer advocate in every state, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. You can call your local advocate, whose number is in Publication 1546, Taxpayer Advocate Service. You can also call the toll-free case intake line at 1-877-777-4778.
You can also file Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance, with the Taxpayer Advocate Service, or request that an IRS employee complete Form 911 on your behalf.
Call Your Local Taxpayer Advocate in California:
24000 Avila Rd.
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677 949-389-4804
Los Angeles 300 N. Los Angeles St.
Stop 6710 LA Los Angeles, CA 90012
1301 Clay St.
Suite 1540S Oakland, CA 94612
4330 Watt Ave.
Stop SA5043 Sacramento, CA 95821
55 Market St.
Stop 0004 San Jose, CA 95113