How To Report Tax Cheats Or Fight Back

Has your ex-spouse or former employee turned you in? Are you the victim of a false claim?

The Internal Revenue Service has a Whistleblower Office – it even has a director for it: he is Stephen Whitlock. Recently, the IRS outlined ways informants can report violations of the tax law and possibly claim a reward based on the amount of additional tax, penalties and interest that is owed.

If you earn a reward, you have to pay your own income tax on it. All awards will be subject to normal tax reporting and withholding requirements.

To be eligible for an award under the new procedures, the tax, penalties, interest, additions to tax, and additional amounts in dispute must exceed $2 million for any taxable year and, if the taxpayer is an individual, the individual’s gross income must exceed $200,000 for any taxable year in question.

The Whistleblower Office was created about a year ago, December. To make a claim, an informant must file new Form 211, Application for Award for Original Information, which asks informants for an explanation of how the informant obtained the information, to provide an estimate of the tax owed and the facts in the case.

The IRS’ Whistleblower Office will make the final determination about whether an award will be paid and the amount of the award for claims that it processes. Awards will be paid in proportion to the value of information furnished voluntarily with respect to proceeds collected.

Under the new procedures, the amount of award will be at least 15%, but no more than 30%, of the collected proceeds in cases in which the IRS determines that the information submitted by the informant substantially contributed to the collection of tax. The award percentage may be reduced in some circumstances, which are described in IRS guidance.

Has your ex-spouse or former employee turned you in? Are you the victim of a false claim? Call Mitchell A. Port at 310.559.5259 for tax help.