Getting A Transcript Of Your Tax Information

Here are some things to know if you need copies of your federal tax return information from the IRS.

There are2 options for obtaining free copies of your federal tax return information – tax account transcripts and tax return transcripts.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data – including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after the return was filed. In many cases, a return transcript will meet the requirements of lending institutions, such as those offering mortgages and student loans.

To request either transcript by phone, call 800-829-1040 and follow the prompts in the recorded message.

To request a tax return transcript through the mail, businesses, partnerships and individuals who need transcript information from other forms or need a tax account transcript must use the Form 4506T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. Individual taxpayers should complete IRS Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript. Form 4506T-EZ is only for individuals who filed a Form 1040 series return.

You should receive your tax account transcript within 30 calendar days from the time the IRS receives your request. Allow 10 working days for delivery of a tax return transcript.

If you still need an actual copy of a previously processed tax return, it will cost $57 per tax year and take much longer. Complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Form, and mail it to the IRS address listed on the form for your area. Allow 60 days for actual copies of your return. Copies are generally available for the current year as well as the past six years.