Get Help To Solve Your Tax Problems

The IRS provides information on recent tax changes as they impact the following areas:

Businesses Disaster Areas Estates and Trusts
Exempt Organizations
Foreign Issues
IRAs and Other Retirement Plans
Other tax topics are below.

The IRS provides information broken down by most popular categories. Those categories are at: Frequently Asked Question Categories

IRS Procedures
Filing Requirements/Status/Dependents/Exemptions
Itemized Deductions/Standard Deductions
Interest/Dividends/Other Types of Income
Pensions/Annuities/Retirement Plans (i.e., 401(k), etc.)
Social Security Income
Child Care Credit/Other Credits
Earned Income Tax Credit
Estimated Tax
Capital Gains, Losses/Sale of Home
Sale or Trade of Business, Depreciation, Rentals
Small Business/Self-Employed/Other Business
Aliens and U.S. Citizens Living Abroad
Electronic Filing (e-file)
Magnetic Media Filers
Other (Alternative Minimum Tax, Estates, Trusts, Tax Shelters, State Tax Inquiries)
Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)

Finally, the IRS assembled its most frequently asked tax questions in one easy location. Top Frequently Asked Questions

What are the tax changes for this year?
Is there an age limit on claiming my children as dependents?
How much does an unmarried dependent student have to make before he or she has to file an income tax return?
If I claim my daughter as a dependent because she is a full-time college student, can she claim herself as a dependent when she files her return?
Can I receive a tax refund if I am currently in a payment plan for prior year’s federal taxes?
For head of household filing status, do you have to claim a child as a dependent to qualify?
What is the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009?
What should I do if I made a mistake on my federal return that I have already filed?
What is a split refund?
How do I know if I have to file quarterly individual estimated tax payments?

IRS Help Available
IRS Services – Volunteer Tax Assistance, Toll–Free Telephone, Walk–in Assistance, and Outreach Programs
Tax Assistance for Individuals with Disabilities and the Hearing Impaired
Tax Help for Small Businesses and Self-Employed
Taxpayer Advocate Service – Help for Problem Situations
Armed Forces Tax Information
Tax Relief Disaster Situations

IRS Procedures
Your Appeal Rights
Refund Information
What To Do if You Haven’t Filed Your Tax Return
Forms W-2 and Form 1099–R (What to Do if Not Received)
Forms and Publications – How to Order
Copy of Your Tax Return – How to Get One
Change of Address – How to Notify IRS
Ensuring Proper Credit of Payments
Prior Year(s) Form W-2 (How to Get a Copy of)
Form 1099–A (Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property) and Form 1099–C (Cancellation of Debt)

The Collection Process
Tax Payment Options
Failure to Pay Child Support, Federal Non–Tax Debts, State Income Tax Obligations and Unemployment Compensation Debts.
Offers in Compromise
Innocent Spouse Relief (And Separation of Liability and Equitable Relief)
Dishonored Payments

Alternative Filing Methods
Substitute Tax Forms
How to Choose a Tax Return Preparer
Self-Select Pin Signature Method for Online Registration

General Information
When, Where, and How to File
Checklist of Common Errors When Preparing Your Tax Return
Extensions of Time to File Your Tax Return
Penalty for Underpayment of Estimated Tax
Backup Withholding
Amended Returns
Roth IRA Contributions
Coverdell Education Savings Accounts
Power of Attorney Information
Disclosure Authorizations
Qualified Tuition Programs (QTPs)

Which Forms to File
Which Form – 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ?

Types of Income
Wages and Salaries
Interest Received
Business Income
Capital Gains and Losses
Pensions and Annuities
Pensions – The General Rule and the Simplified Method
Lump–Sum Distributions
Rollovers from Retirement Plans
Rental Income and Expenses
Renting Residential and Vacation Property (formerly Renting Vacation Property and Renting to Relatives)
Farming and Fishing Income
Earnings for Clergy
Unemployment Compensation
Gambling Income and Expenses
Bartering Income
Scholarship and Fellowship Grants
Social Security and Equivalent Railroad Retirement Benefits
401(k) Plans
Passive Activities – Losses and Credits
Stock Options
Traders in Securities (Information for Form 1040 Filers)
Exchange of Policyholder Interest for Stock
Canceled Debt – Is it Income or Not?

Adjustments to Income
Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs)
Alimony Paid
Bad Debt Deduction
Moving Expenses
Student Loan Interest Deduction
Tuition and Fees Deduction
Educator Expense Deduction

Itemized Deductions
Should I Itemize?
Medical and Dental Expenses
Deductible Taxes
Home Mortgage Points
Interest Expense
Casualty and Theft Losses
Miscellaneous Expenses
Business Use of Home
Business Use of Car
Business Travel Expenses
Business Entertainment Expenses
Educational Expenses
Employee Business Expenses
Casualty, Disaster, and Theft Losses

Tax Computation
Standard Deduction
Tax and Credits Figured by the IRS
Tax on a Child’s Investment Income
Self–Employment Tax
Alternative Minimum Tax
Tax on Early Distributions From Traditional and Roth IRAs
Tax on Early Distributions From Retirement Plans

Tax Credits
Earned Income Credit
Child and Dependent Care Credit
Adoption Credit
Excess Social Security and RRTA Tax Withheld
Retirement Savings Contributions Credit
First-time Homebuyer Credit – Purchases Made In 2008
First-time Homebuyer Credit – Purchases Made In 2009 And 2010

IRS Notices
Notices – What to Do
Notice of Underreported Income – CP-2000
IRS Notices and Bills, Penalties and Interest Charges

Basis of Assets, Depreciation, and Sale of Assets
Sale of Your Home
Basis of Assets
Installment Sales

Employer Tax Information
Social Security and Medicare Withholding Rates
Form W-2 – Where, When, and How to File
Form W-4 – Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate
Form W-5 – Advance Earned Income Credit
Employer Identification Number (EIN) – How to Apply
Employment Taxes for Household Employees
Form 941 and 944 – Deposit Requirements
Form 941 – Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return and Form 944 – Employers Annual Federal Tax Return
Tips – Withholding and Reporting
Independent Contractor vs. Employee

Electronic Media Filers – 1099 Series and Related Information Returns
Who Must File Electronically
Applications, Forms, and Information
Waivers and Extensions
Test Files and Combined Federal and State Filing
Electronic Filing of Information Returns

Tax Information for Aliens and U.S. Citizens Living Abroad
Resident and Non–Resident Aliens
Foreign Tax Credit
Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) – Form W–7
Alien Tax Clearance