Have You Been Mistakenly Treated As An Independent Contractor? There’s A Solution

Did you believe you were an employee at your job rather than an independent contractor? Did your employer mistakenly treat you as an independent contractor perhaps because it was perceived as a way to save Social Security and Medicare Taxes on wages? If you were erroneously treated as an independent contractor, the Internal Revenue Service has developed a new form for employees who have been misclassified as independent contractors by an employer.

Form 8919, Uncollected Social Security and Medicare Tax on Wages, will now be used to figure and report the employee’s share of uncollected social security and Medicare taxes due on their compensation.

By using Form 8919, the worker’s social security and Medicare taxes will be credited to their social security record. To facilitate this process, the IRS will electronically share Form 8919 data with the Social Security Administration.

Generally, a worker who receives a Form 1099 for services provided as an independent contractor must report the income on Schedule C and pay self-employment tax on the net profit, using Schedule SE. However, sometimes the worker is incorrectly treated as an independent contractor when they are actually an employee. When this happens, Form 8919 will be used beginning for tax year 2007 by workers who performed services for an employer but the employer did not withhold the worker’s share of social security and Medicare taxes.

In addition, the worker must meet one of several criteria indicating they were an employee while performing the services. The criteria can be reviewed at this site:

In the past, misclassified workers often used Form 4137 to report their share of social security and Medicare taxes. Misclassified workers should no longer use this form. Instead, Form 4137 should now only be used by tipped employees to report social security and Medicare taxes on allocated tips and tips not reported to their employers.

Whether you are an employee or the employer, tax help is available to be sure you comply with the new rule. Call Mitchell A. Port at 310.559.5259 for tax help.