California’s State Tax Agencies

In the State of California there are several agencies that administer a variety of taxes. The following is a list of state agencies that can assist you in determining your tax obligations and provide you with information about tax reporting and taxpayer rights. Other state and local agencies may issue California permits and assess fees or taxes; they are not listed here.

The Employment Development Department (EDD) issues employer account numbers (sometimes called state employer identification numbers, SEINs, state ID numbers, or reserve account numbers) and administers California’s payroll taxes, including State Disability Insurance, Employment Training Tax, Unemployment Insurance, and California Personal Income Tax withholding.

The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) administers corporate and personal income and franchise taxes for the State of California. For questions, you can contact the Franchise Tax Board from inside the U.S. at (800) 852-5711 or from outside the U. S. at (916) 845-6500 (not toll-free).

The State Board of Equalization (BOE) is responsible for the administration and collection of the states sales and use, fuel, alcohol, tobacco, and other special taxes and fees, and issues seller’s permits. The BOE is involved in California property tax assessment and administration. The BOE also acts as the appellate body for personal income and franchise tax appeals. For more information call 1-800-400-7115.

The California Tax Service Center provides information relating to income, payroll, sales and use tax for businesses in one handy location.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) administers federal payroll taxes, including social security, Medicare, federal unemployment insurance and federal income tax withholding, and issues federal employer identification numbers.

Need help dealing with any of these tax authorities for tax problems you or your California based business have? Please call Mitchell A. Port at 310.559.5259.