The IRS is interested in what are the top mistakes on individual income tax returns filed on paper and by e-file. Errors are categorized by whether you filed Form 1040EZ, 1040A, or 1040.
1. We computed your recovery rebate credit for you.
2. We changed the amount of the recovery rebate credit you claimed on your tax return because the amount entered was computed incorrectly.
3. We changed the amount of tax shown on your return. The amount entered was incorrect based on your taxable income and filing status.
4. We changed the amount of taxable income on your return because there was an error in the subtraction of your exemption or combined standard deduction/exemption amount.
5. The refund amount or the amount you owe was computed incorrectly.
6. We changed the amount claimed as standard deduction on your tax return. You are entitled to a higher standard deduction if you and/or your spouse are age 65 or older and/or blind.
7. We changed the amount of taxable social security benefits on because there was an error in the computation of the taxable amount.
8. We didn’t allow the recovery rebate credit you claimed. You do not qualify for the credit since there was no qualifying income.
9. For one or more of your dependents the last name doesn’t match our records or the records provided by the Social Security Administration.
If you owe tax and have a serious tax problem, call Los Angeles attorney Mitchell A. Port at (310) 559-5259 for tax help.