If you believe an individual or company is not complying with California's personal income tax or corporate income and franchise tax laws, you can report that information to Franchise Tax Board (FTB). No rewards are offered for reporting this information.
Income tax fraud is intentionally paying less tax than you owe.
Examples of income tax fraud are:
Not filing state income tax returns.
Preparing documents, books, and records that understate the true income or overstate the expenses of a business.
Making false or fraudulent claims for refunds.
Questionable tax practitioner practices.
Failing to report all income received.
Opening and closing of new businesses to evade taxes.
Claiming to be a resident of another state while residing in California.
Reporting Income Tax Fraud
1. What type of information should I provide when reporting a possible fraudulent activity?
Please include the following details if available:
Alleged tax violation
How you became aware of the alleged violation
Availability of supporting documents
Asset information (vehicles, property, etc.)
Your contact information (optional)
2. If FTB uses the information I provide to collect more taxes, will I receive a reward?
No. FTB does not pay rewards for informant information.
3. After I provide information to FTB, can I receive updates on the investigation?
No. Privacy and disclosure laws prohibit FTB from sharing information whether action is taken or not.
4. How do I modify information on a report I previously submitted?
If you need to provide additional information or wish to correct previous information, submit another report. On the second report, select the "Additional Information" box at the beginning of the report, and enter your referral number or the name of the person or business you reported.
5. Can the person I am reporting find out my identity?
No. We treat any information you provide as confidential unless compelled by law to do otherwise.
6. How do I know if you received my online referral report?
If your submission is successful, you will receive a confirmation window with a reference number. Keep the number or print the confirmation page.
7. Where do I send supporting documents?
FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
PO BOX 1565
RANCHO CORDOVA CA 95741